Miami ING Marathon
I am so glad I did it. The marathon was one of those life-altering experiences. Here is how it went.
The alarm sounded at 4:15 am. I moaned and bitched about the time.
Breakfast was ready! Old fashioned oatmeal with nuts and raisins. The UM metro stop is close to my apt and they let me ride free because I was about to run the marathon! The metro loop took us to the start.
I warmed up with some odd running drills Giancarlo talked me through. Daft Punk prepped me mentally while I waited.
My group started about 10 minutes after the pros.
The views of Miami were, for lack of a better word, AWESOME. It's one thing to speed through the bridges and roads late for a meeting or event, and it's another to cruise through the center of the road, fully appreciating the rippling ocean water, the lighted cruise ships, downtown skyline with sun rising behind it... I loved it.
The route passed though the beach on Ocean Dr. Many people were on road bikes encouraging us to keep on. Entering downtown, we found ourselves (I mean the runners) in a-not-so-good-area with few cops and cheerleaders. None actually. I ran by a group of teens that had been clubbing all night and found themselves the next morning blurry-eyed and trapped in downtown because of the marathon event. After passing the point of no return - half marathon finish - we were in a Coconut Grove residential area. These were the hardest miles, 15-20. They were slow and my arches were aching. My big toes were numb and the little ones were well on their way to joining the big ones. Every step was painful.
I stopped twice to remove my left shoe and massage my foot for a few minutes before continuing. After exiting downtown Coconut Grove, I found myself swallowed up by a 5:30 group. They encouraged me to continue on. One man said he was on a mission to beat Katie Holmes' time. He did not.
After exiting the Rickenbacker Causeway, I left the 5:30 group and ran the last 2 miles as fast as I could (which in hindsight was probably not that fast).
As I approached the finish line my father yell out "Melissa!" and my mom was squealing. My right arm raised straight into the air acknowledging that they were heard. I remember seeing them so my head must have turned approximately 30 degrees right. To my left was a taller woman running hard. Mentally I set a goal to beat her.
I did! And Katie Holmes too!
My parents and Giancarlo took a few pictures of me modeling my medal.
As you can tell, the photos were not edited to improve my appearance. I did not finish a baby powder fresh butterfly. This is how I actually looked finishing. I was red, sweaty, in pain, and my hair was a mess. My coach, standing next to me, looked much more refreshed. I owe it all to him. Giancarlo trained me to reach this goal. I can't thank him enough.
I stretched.
Afterwards I heatedly explained the stupidities of my 26.2 mi route.
I wobbled to my father's car. My legs were stiff and pained. I had never run a step further than 13 miles until today.
It was a miracle I did not pass out exhausted in the backseat. My father took us to Spris on Miracle Mile. That place is awesome bytheway. Great Italian pizza, and I love Italian!
After a quick visit to Costco, my parents left and I fell asleep for a while. Giancarlo took me to see Russell Peters at the Comedy Club in Coconut Grove to celebrate later that night. I was still dead tired and in extreme leg pain. My toes still had no sensation. Can you tell I was dehydrated? (huge eyes, bruised luggages underneath) He almost had to lift me so we could get to the car.
Everyday until I die I can do so knowing I went to hell and back, and recovered. I will always have my score and my medal to remember and a scrapbook of the route I ran.
My marathon scores!!!!
Yay me!