My Blog

Broken Social Scene - It's All Gonna Break

OOOOOhhhh. My lord.

Who can honestly say they have 65 or 150 goodlooking friends?

Let's define friend. Dictionary.com says

A friend is a lover, literally. The relationship between Latin amcus "friend" and am "I love" is clear, as is the relationship between Greek philos "friend" and phile "I love." In English, though, we have to go back a millennium before we see the verb related to friend. At that time, frond, the Old English word for "friend," was simply the present participle of the verb fron, "to love." The Germanic root behind this verb is *fr-, which meant "to like, love, be friendly to." Closely linked to these concepts is that of "peace," and in fact Germanic made a noun from this root, *frithu-, meaning exactly that. Ultimately descended from this noun are the personal names Frederick, "peaceful ruler,"and Siegfried, "victory peace." The root also shows up in the name of the Germanic deity Frigg, the goddess of love, who lives on today in the word Friday, "day of Frigg," from an ancient translation of Latin Veneris dis, "day of Venus."


and
A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.

The second definition for friend is to vague.

A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

The word history of friend contradicts this. You can't love an acquaintance because you can't trust someone you don't know. Forget "love at first sight". That's the same thing as saying you have a hard-on.

So, who can say they honestly have 150 amazingly hot friends?

If they aren't friends, if you're never going to have a serious conversation with the person, I mean seriously not trying to manipulate them into sleeping with you (and by sleeping I mean fucking), then why would you want to add them on your account as a friend? Is it like driving an expensive car, you get to show people how big your dick actually isn't by inflating your image?

All the friends I have are in my cell phone phone book. I don't remember them only when my account manager sends me an email that someone's birthday is quickly approaching. If I care to know how they are physically and emotionally I easily speed dial their number. I make dates with my friends, I talk frequently with my friends, I make traveling plans with my friends, I eat sushi with them, I call them when I'm upset, when I'm happy, I invite them to my birthday celebration, I buy them gifts and send them surprises. I don't undermine, manipulate, forget, gather information on them, and lie to my friends. They know I'm faulty because I trust them to witness my faults and still love me. I expect the same in return but I don't demand it.

I think my generation needs to redefine their concept of "friend".



posted 12/29/2005 02:32:00 PM  
0 | comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment