Marburg Toll In Angola Explodes to 200
I'm terribly excited right now.
But I get the feeling I shouldn't be. So I feel a bit guilty for not feeling guilty.
Eithery way, what a terrible thing for the people of Angola, but how intensely interesting it is for me.
From a news article published 2 hours ago:
As of 6 April, 200 cases of Marburg haemorrhagic fever have been reported in Angola. Of these cases, 173 have died. Kuanza Sul has reported its first case, bringing the number of affected provinces to six, all concentrated in the north-western part of the country.
The terribly exciting part is the whole concept of a virus, that initially imitates the Flu. And finally causes severe hemorrhages which probably lead to death. This is a virus with a disputable fatality rate. The CDC has it listed as 25% fatal. But 173 out of 200 people have died and no one needs to do the math to immediately understand that the fatality rate is well over 25%.
Annoyingly enough, none of the articles I've read over this subject explain why the people of Angola are catching this disease so easily. Is it the incubation period? How urban is the setting? Are there water sanitary issues? Poorly stocked hospitals? Unrestricted travel? Is it cultural or social dependent? Close contact to wild animals? What kind of responsibilites does the government have and has it taken much initiative? Besides sending US and UN scientist out there in spacesuits, what else have they done? What precisely are they doing there?
See, reporters need to inform more. Statistics and viral descriptions are easily found. But if all I wanted was a blurb, then I'd just read the first four lines of every article.
I demand, give me more.
| posted 4/07/2005 05:43:00 PM |
|
0 |
comment
|
0 Comments:
Post a Comment